Elderly Placement

Placement of the elderly involves the person, family, treating professionals and those professionals who will provide future care. It must be based on accurate assessment of the person’s abilities, interests, and care needs. It requires knowledge of possible community support services and residential care facilities. The person must recognize, accept and adjust to the care needs and as far as possible, be allowed the final decision on placement. This requires that he or she be fully informed and given time to consider. There is often competition for resources; a system is needed to ensure identification of the optimal resource for each individual, equitable access to resources according to a recognized priority rating, and a certainty that every person will find a place appropriate to his need.

Article reference: (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2306219/)

Veterans Assistance Program

Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly pension, and they are not paid without eligibility to Pension. Since Aid and Attendance and Housebound allowances increase the pension amount, people who are not eligible for a basic pension due to excessive income may be eligible for pension at these increased rates. A Veteran or surviving spouse may not receive Aid and Attendance benefits and Housebound benefits at the same time.

Article reference: (https://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/aid_attendance_housebound.asp)

Errol Sayin

Errol Sayin

VA Accredited Claims Agent #21154

Errol served in the US Army from 1973 to 1976 and was stationed in Okinawa. After the Army, he entered the financial field, became a member of the American Chamber of Commerce and lived in Okinawa until 1995. He became a VA Accredited Claims Agent in 2011 and has been Assisting Veterans of the WWII, Korean, and Vietnam wars in applying for benefits. He also works with the widows of these war time veterans.  He began assisting veterans of the Persian Gulf wars after his own Son returned from duty in Afghanistan. He and his Wife Paloma just celebrated the birth of their third Grandchild and spend their free time hiking, gardening  and doing crossword puzzles.

Wills and Trusts

Both are used to dictate the division of a person’s assets after death. Each legal arrangement features benefits and drawbacks, so your choice will depend on the details of your personal situation. To ensure that you make the right decision, discuss your goals and the difference between wills and trusts with an attorney experienced in estate planning.


A key goal of the program was to enable low-income, Medi-Cal eligible seniors and persons with disabilities, who would otherwise require nursing facility services, to remain in or relocate to a community setting in a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly (RCFE) or public subsidized housing . The program was converted into a five-year federal waiver program.

Article reference: http://www.canhr.org/factsheets/rcfe_fs/html/rcfe_fs.alw.htm


Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFE) serve persons 60 and older. They provide room, board, housekeeping, supervision, and personal care assistance with basic activities like personal hygiene, dressing, eating, and walking. Facilities usually centrally store and distribute medications for residents to self-administer.

Other Senior Citizen Programs (call us for more information).